Still waiting to hear back on the Magic Runner Genie granting everyone’s “NO MORE INJURIES EVERRRRR” wish, but in the meantime Erin A how about a $50 RRS gift card?
Congrats! Watch your inbox!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
The second-to-last 5 Days of Taper giveaway is another product you’ve probably seen a lot around the endurance world and blogland. At OUaL you’ve heard about the magical Hood to Coast weekend, electrolyte-infused cocktails, and its monopoly on the inside of my handheld.
NUUN. (like “noon”)
And maybe you’ve heard about it curing hydration nightmares for athletes with sugar issues. Maybe you’ve seen the little tubes at your local sports store or their coolers set up at a race expo. Maybe you were lucky enough to run Nike Women’s and had the pleasure of having it served on the course.
Dear Race Directors – Feel free to follow suit. Band wagon’ing encouraged here.
Or maybe you’ve just heard people blab about it and you’re like, “WTF is this nun? noon? Whatever it is – WHAT IS IT?”
(Backgrounder) : Nuun is a sugar-free electrolyte drink – they come in tubes of little tablets you just drop in your water and watch fizz up like alka seltzer. They’re slightly carbonated, low calorie, and come in a huge selection of flavors – some of which have vitamins and/or caffeine – making them great for both workouts AND all-day consumption.
Haven’t tried Nuun? I bet I know what you’re thinking…
- I don’t give a flying F how many calories are in my drink. I’m burning like a billion on my long runs!
- True. Calories ARE important during endurance workouts. Personally I prefer my fuel in solid form though – gels, chews, etc just work better for me. Plus keeping your hydration separate from your calories allows a more custom fueling strategy, with more options for dietary needs, flavors, caffeine, etc. But 20 milers aren’t the only time you’re hydrating. At-work water, easy cross training sesh, and the morning after a long night out will all get a boost (without the unnecessary calories) from electrolytes.
- I have like the most sensitive stomach EVER. I’ll stick to plain water, thanks.
- I’m not going to pretend to be an expert or even experienced w GI issues, but I can almost guarantee you won’t be any worse for the wear going sugar-free. Most sports drinks carry a boatload of calories and carbs – all from sugar. While it’s great for a boost and easy quick-burning fuel, sugar is a common culprit for sloshy stomachs. Give it a try – you need those electrolytes! – if you hate it I’ll send you a handwritten apology card.
- “Fizz up like alka seltzer” scares me.
- The fizziness took a little bit to get used to. I expected something smooth and syrup’y like the “__-ades”, but it didn’t take long to grow to love the lighter, crisp taste. Plus it’s great controlling how diluted the flavor is – during the day I drop a half tab of All Day in my water glass, for long runs it’s a tab and a half of Active in my handheld.
- $6 per tube?!! You’re crazy. That’s like 1.4 lattes. Or a Powerball ticket.
- The price tag kept me away at first, especially for something I wasn’t sure I’d like. But lets break it down : At 12 tabs per tube, that’s $.50 per 16oz drink, or $.031/oz. A single 20oz regular sports drink, “zero” drink, or coconut water will on sale will run you $1, or $.05/oz. Even by the pallet at a wholesale club, Nuun comes in under market cost (Sam’s Club Gatorade $.033/oz). PLUS if you live in CA you save that $.05 CRV tax, and HELLO YOU’RE SO GREEN avoiding all that bottle waste. There is no price tag on environmental consciousness.
- Fine! I’m over your spiel. What flavors should I try?
- Lemon Lime and Strawberry Lemonade are my go-tos and big crowd pleasers (not to mention terrific cocktail mixers). Kona Cola, Lemon Tea, and Banana require a certain palate I think, although I’ve learned those are by far the most diehard flavor fans. (I’m Team Banana and have been known to shove some under noses with an adamant “just try it!”)
OR – you could just win some. Here’s how :
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
What’s up for grabs? The perfect gift set for either a Nuun Virgin or an Established Nuun’er – a mixed 4 pack of Active, a mixed 4 pack of the new All Day line (vitamin packed, half the electrolytes, perfect for day drinking), and a Nuun pint glass.
(I’ve been affirmed this is a non-exclusive beverage vehicle.)
How do you win? Just tell me…
- You get to make ANY FOOD/FLAVOR into the perfect on-the-go fuel. Gel, chew, drink, Willy Wonka three-course-meal chewing gum, whatever you want. What is it?
Margarita shot bloks are a good stand-in until Nuun makes me my IPA flavor, but I’d love a squeezable PBJ. Crunch peanut butter. Starwberry preserves. Toasted wheat bread. If we’re getting specific (which we are, bc it’s my game and my rules)
* Comments close 11/29 at Midnight PST. Winner will be randomly chosen and another new giveaway posted tomorrow. THE LAST ONE. *